Ok, yes, I admit- I’m guilty. Guilty of the desire for that tropical glow, and that desire for 10 minutes of beaming rays during these cold and frosty winter months that seem to be never ending. Tanning beds may seem to be the answer to this issue, and while it may seem like a great idea at the time, realistically, I have come to realize, that a few days of darker skin is just not worth the detrimental effects that a tanning bed can have on your body. Recent studies have found that tanning beds account for 400,000 cases of skin cancer in the United States in ONE year alone (woah..). And not to mention the physical attributes: wrinkles, sagging skin, and sun spots (not cute!). Let’s just say, I’m over it (and you should be too!). Luckily, as more research has come out about the poor effects that UV radiation has on the body, more (and better) products have hit stores as an alternative. There are plenty of really great lotions, mousses, and sprays that you can buy at beauty or drug stores which will convince people you were vacationing in Cabo last week (ha, I wish)! Self tanner has gotten a bad rap of making one look like an orange- oompa- loompa- streaky- hot mess, but newer products actually work and give more of a natural look. After a little searching, here are my top three self tanners on the market today:
- Fake Bake Self Tanning Mousse, $14.35
This mousse is so easy to apply, and doesn’t leave streaks. Also, it is known to last through just about anything!
2. Shiseido Brilliant Bronze Tinted Self Tanning Gel, $30.00 This one gives a natural look with a slight shimmer and glow, and it smells great too!
3. Clarins Intense Bronze Self Tanning Tint, $32.50 This lotion creates an especially natural look, and lasts super long.
And I’ll leave you with some quick tips for lathering up like an expert
- Exfoliate and shave before!
- Be mindful of knees, hands, elbows, feet, ankles, and (especially) your face. Try using a minimal amount of lotion in these areas.
- Let the lotion settle in for a few minutes before putting your clothes back on
- Keep your skin hydrated after application! This will make it last longer.
Do your body a favor. Stop tanning and use these lotions instead. Your future self will thank you later! Xx, Tash